The Night of Dark Terror
The planar “bubble” from Erebus unleashed a terrifying Nightshade from the realm of shadow. This was the ritual that the Faceless One performed. The Nightshade came to the surface at night in Velos and the Shadows that accompanied it quickly slew and transformed the dead into more of their kind. Eventually, the population noticed and fled in panic. The city watch was quickly overwhelmed, but sounded the alarm which brought the PCs as well as the Overlord along with his personal amazon guard, the Sable Brothers, the Imperial Wardens, and other defenders of the city. Together they stopped the terror, but only at great cost. Hundreds of people perished, around 1-2% of the city’s population. The night has become known as the Night of Dark Terror.
The party at House Gerami
Several days after the Night of Dark Terror, Samedi attended the party thrown by the House of Gerami. In Velos, it is typical that the major noble houses throw a luxurious feast after the first monsoon of summer to display their wealth and power as well as to reward their followers. Samedi had managed to be invited to the parties thrown by all three of the major houses, but choose to associate himself with the Gerami.
- Asad Gerami, head of the noble house descended from bedouin lineage
- Talia Gerami, his eldest daughter and likely heir
- Shaka, blacked skinned Magister of the house from the Askari Freeholds
- Imam Farraj, family chaplain, a cleric of Rudren
- Himtach and Suket, the philosopher and his albino daughter, invited guests of House Masoko
- Oxynthus, a decadent noble
- Massena, a sarcastic crone
- Father Despoden, a cleric of Decimus
- Kumba Masoko, leader of the Masoko and ally to the House of Gerami
- Obain Gerami, Captain of the City Watch and cousin to Asad Gerami
- Master Thiatles, leader of the city Calibani, he recently switched allegiance from the Idrisid to Gerami
- Prince Nangeri, noble leader of the nomadic yereni confederation of the Golden Wastes & old ally to the House of Gerami
An important topic of conversation was the disappeance of Kella Gerami. She mysteriously disappeared months ago, but still no trace has been found. This is what is known:
- Kella was last seen to be at the house of Musa Gerami, a mutual cousin of Asad/Talia and Kella.
- She had broken off an old dalliance with Syphax, Master of the Games at the Hippodrome.
- She had spurned the advances of Mohammed Idrisid, the young head of the Idrisid family.
The party also learned additional information at the party:
- That the head of the Idrisid ambassador sent to the Saurians was just returned to the city by Crocotta minions of the Beast King.
- That jaded young nobles speak of a secret coterie they call the “Court of the Pale Queen” where all sorts of debauchery occurs.
Discussion with Tempus
After the party with the Gerami, the player characters met wit Tempus, Grand Prior of the Sable Brotherhood, in his office at the Sable Citadel. There, they shared everything they knew about the Night of Dark Terror and what they had found underneath the tunnels of Velos. In return, Tempus told them whatever he knew that could help them understand the notes and items they had found.
The notes of the Faceless One referred to the Seal of Zubab. The name “Zubab” refers to Zubab, the Lord of Maggots, a quasi-deity and one of the harbingers of the Conqueror Worm, one of the Great Beasts. Zubab was one of five such harbingers. In their entirety they are:
- Zubab the Lord of Maggots
- Salt the Albino Rat
- Orthryx the Two Headed Jackal
- Nemain the Corpse Ripper
- Kazamot the Winged Terror
Tempus also told the player characters what little he knows about the Company of the Phoenix, an old and defunct group of heroes. The records of the Sable Brotherhood makes reference to the Company of the Phoenix, but only as a rival to the Brotherhood. They became defunct centuries ago.
With the city in turmoil about the recent bad news – the cursed sandstorm, the Slithering Horror, the zombie lord gathering an army of the dead, the Night of Dark Terror, the disappearance of Kella Gerami, and imminent invasion by the Crocotta, the player characters asked Tempus what would be the most important way they could help. Tempus suggested two things.
First, investigate the Tomb of Shaddad which was despoiled months ago and which may be the “tomb” that the Faceless One mentioned as having found the Seal of Zubab.
Second, slay the Beast King in the House of the Beast to prevent an attack on the city.